Monday, July 04, 2011

More Than Meets The Eye

Recently I had the opportunity to see the latest film in the Transformers franchise.  As a child of the eighties, I felt a thrill of nostalgia run through me as I relived, in an epic fashion, the adventures of the Autobots that had so excited my childhood imagination.

Yet, as the story progressed, my critical faculties reasserted themselves.  We discover rapidly that the entire Apollo program was merely a ruse, an excuse for the U.S. government to get to the moon before the Soviets and obtain an alien technology in the form of an Autobot spacecraft that had crashed there some years before.

In the course of this I wondered what Buzz Aldrin would say about one of mankind's greatest achievements, in the development of which at least three people died, being used as a mere plot device in a movie for a line of toys.  To my astonishment my question was soon answered when the man himself appeared and was introduced to the Autobot leader Optimus Prime.  Certainly a prime example (no pun intended) of how capital comes soon or late to degrade everything once pure, and the ad men once again make a commodity of our dream's.

No comments: